News & Report
The 56th Hakata Dontaku Minato Festival to be Held on the 3rd & 4th of May!
“A Great Step toward a World-Class Festival! -In Celebration of UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage Registration-”
In Fukuoka, “Hakata Dontaku Minato Festival – the Fukuoka Citizen’s Festival-” is held on the 3rd (Wed/Holiday) and the 4th (Thu/Holiday) of May and attracts over 2 million people every year.
During the festival, a festival parade will be held at Dontaku Square (Meiji Dori Avenue), where marchers will weave through a distance of 1,270 meters from Gofuku-machi to Tenjin, and also special performance stages will be set up at about 30 spots around the city. Besides these, there will also be many other events and great features to check out in the festival! Don’t miss it!
This is How You Enjoy Hakata Dontaku!
◆ Festival Highlight 1: Dontaku Square Parade
Many Dontaku marcher groups each in their own unique and fun costume will parade through a distance of 1,270 meters across Dontaku Square while showing their performances to the audience. On the 4th, which is the last day of the festival, you can also freely join the final great mass dance and enjoy dancing with other marchers!
<Dontaku Square Parade>
– Event Day: May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) 1 PM – 7 PM / May 4th (Thu/Holiday) 3 PM – 8 PM
– Event Site: Meiji Dori Avenue / Dontaku Square (Area from “Gofukumachi” Intersection to “Across Fukuoka Mae” Intersection)
◆ Festival Highlight 2: Performance Stage
Performance stages will be set up at about 30 spots around the city and various groups including Dontaku groups and talented individuals will show their performances to the audience.
– Event Day: May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) / May 4th (Thu/Holiday) (Performance Time Varies by Stages)
– Event Site: 30 Locations around the City
◆ Festival Highlight 3: Hakata Matsubayashi
In Hakata Matsubyashi parade, which is the original form of Dontaku festival and today registered as a nationally important intangible cultural folk asset, 4 marching groups consisting of three “god groups” (Fukujin, Ebisu & Daikoku) along with a group of children (Chigo Nagare) will march through the streets and visit the establishments and companies around the city.
– Event Day: May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) – May 4th (Thu/Holiday) 9 AM – 5 PM
– Event Site: Around the Whole City
◆ Festival Highlight 4: Special Audience Stand for Tourists (Fee Applies to Seats)
From the audience stand, which will be set up at Suijo Park, you can get a good uninterrupted view of the Dontaku marchers parading through the street. The seat tickets are now selling with great popularity. You can also get a discount on a Dontaku special sensu hand fan with a stub of the seat ticket.
[About Special Audience Stand Seat Ticket]
Ticket: May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) — A Ticket 1 PM – 3:50 PM / B Ticket 4:10 PM – 6:30 PM
* Each of A & B Ticket is valid only for the designate time period.
May 4th (Thu/Holiday) — C Ticket 3 PM – 7:30 PM
– Advance Ticket 3,000 Yen <Ticket Pia (P Code 635-132) or Lawson Ticket (L Code 83672)>
– On the Day Ticket 3,500 Yen <Special Audience Booth at Suijo Park>
◆ Festival Highlight 5: Nishitetsu Flower Car
The Flower Cars, one of the most popular features of the festival, are coming again!
Six automobiles each gorgeously decorated with hundreds of LED bulbs and imitation flowers will cruise along the main streets in the city. They will also join the parade at the Dontaku Square!
Information Office / Sales of Dontaku Items
Information service will be provided at Dontaku Information Offices. The information offices at Suijo Park and Hakata Station will also offer Dontaku items for sale.
– Hakata Station— May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) & 4th (Thu/Holiday) 10 AM – 7 PM
– Dontaku Square (Suijo Park) — May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) 10 AM – 7 PM / May 4th (Thu/Holiday) 1 PM – 8 PM
– Subway Tenjin Station — May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) & 4th (Thu/Holiday) 10 AM – 7 PM
May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) - 4th (Thu/Holiday)
- Dontaku Parade on May 3rd (Wed/Holiday) 1 PM - 7 PM / May 4th (Thu/Holiday) 3 PM - 8 PM
- Final Mass Dance: May 4th (Thu/Holiday) 6:30 PM - 7:30 PM
<Dontaku Square Parade> Meiji Dori Avenue / Dontaku Square (Area from “Gofukumachi” Intersection to “Across Fukuoka Mae” Intersection), <Performance Stage> more than 30 Locations around the City
Dontaku Square (Meiji Dori)
-About 15 Minute Walk from JR Hakata Station
- About 5 Minute Walk from “Tenjin” Subway Station
- Adjacent from “Nakasu Kawabata” Subway Station